6 tips on how to find cheap rooms for rent in Los Angeles
It is extremely hard to find a good apartment that fills all of your preferences. It gets even harder since rent prices are very high these days, especially in Los Angeles. However, it is not impossible. I have spent days looking for a perfect match. Here are 5 tips that helped me find an affordable room for rent in LA.
1. Figure out your preferences. A very important step is figuring out what are you looking for. Do you want to live close to the place you work at, close to the beach or a public park? Then, think about whether you want to live by yourself or with a roommate. Considering all of this, set a budget and check the locations that fit it. This way, your search will be easier because you won't waste your time on other areas or places out of your budget. It can be a real challenge to find the perfect new place to live, especially with skyrocketing rental prices across the country. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that you should always look for a place that meets your needs and preferences. So don't settle and make sure you find the perfect spot!
2. Craigslist. This website is used by people that want to rent out their apartment as soon as possible. Often they don't know other sources and have been using this one since 2000. It may have helped them 21 years ago, so they decided to come back. Craigslist has a very old design on the website and looks horrifying. However, it doesn't mean that you won't find anything good here. For the landlords on Craigslist, money is not that important, they just want to find a good tenant that they can trust. You can be that person and find a cheap room for rent. Some ads don't even have pictures, but it doesn't mean it's a scam, it can be the apartment of your dreams.
3. Rent control. Some houses in Los Angeles are under rent control, which means that owners are not allowed to increase prices. This will really help you cut back some money on your monthly rent. Usually, these landlords have a few places for rent. Find the ones that have a few ads on the website, call them, and ask if they have any available apartments.
4. Find a roommate on Facebook. It is a great instrument to find someone who already has an affordable place and is just looking for a roommate. Moreover, you can check people's profiles and choose a person that you want to live with. This way you can find a great friend in the city or someone who is reserved like you, and won't bother.
5. Roomies.com allows you to find people who are looking for roommates just like you. You can also search by specific criteria, like gender or smoking habits, and set filters for how long you're willing to stay in the apartment. It's free to register and search, but you have to pay if you want to contact someone for more information. Living with roommates might sound scary, but it can also have its perks. For one thing, it will be cheaper for you as your monthly rent and utilities will be split with the others.
6. A harder way to save money is renting out the apartment yourself and finding roommates for empty bedrooms. You can find people who will pay their share of the rent and utilities. However, it can be risky because, if your roommates don't pay on time, this will be on you.
As a bonus tip - co-livings such as Sota co-living are a great way to save money and make new friends. You can move in with us while you are moving towards your dream. We have a month-to-month lease plus all utilities included. This really helps with saving on rent.
I know that apartment hunting might seem overwhelming, but it's really not. You will find the perfect apartment, don't worry! There are plenty of affordable options in a big city like LA. You just have to do your research and be patient. Good luck!